Medical mistakes are a leading cause of death in the U.S., yet less than three percent of malpractice victims, or their families, go forward with filing a claim.
Medical malpractice cases are very complex, and you have a very short amount of time to get started. Milligan Law Offices can help you recover fair compensation for injuries that never should have happened and that may cause you great suffering and expense for the rest of your life.
Please, do not wait until it is too late to find out if you have a case. Talk to Arkansas medical malpractice attorney Phillip J. Milligan today.
Were You Injuries the Result of Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is not always involved when you suffer a poor medical outcome or lose a loved one. However, in many cases malpractice victims never find out that medical negligence was the true cause of their injuries. Medical malpractice occurs when a healthcare professional or facility performs below the accepted standard of care and causes harm to a patient in the process. This can be by action or inaction.
Examples of medical malpractice include:
- Medication errors
- Unsanitary conditions leading to nosocomial infections
- Obstetric negligence injuring the baby, mother, or both
- Premature discharge from the emergency room or hospital
- Discharge from emergency room or hospital without giving adequate care and follow-up instructions
- Needle stick
- Unnecessary procedure, medication, or treatment
- Surgical mistakes, including wrong site surgery
- Anesthesia error
- Failure to obtain informed consent
- Failure to take or errors in taking patient history
- Failure to diagnose, delayed diagnosis, or misdiagnosis
- Failure to advise a patient of diagnosis or treatment options
- Inappropriate treatment or procedure based on patient’s medical history or current condition
- Wrong treatment for the condition
- Continuing an ineffective treatment
- Patient abandonment
- Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) violations – patient dumping
Who Can be Held Liable for Medical Malpractice?
You may think of medical malpractice as something that only applies to doctors and surgeons, but it applies to every type of healthcare professional and facility. Examples of those who may be held liable for medical malpractice include:
- Cosmetic surgeons
- General practitioners
- Physical therapists
- Emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and paramedics
- Laboratory technicians
- Mental institutions
- Nursing homes
- Correctional facilities
- Emergency rooms
- Urgent care centers
- Ambulance services
- Out-patient facilities
- Fertility clinics
- Rehabilitation facilities
If you suspect or know that your injuries or the death of a loved one was caused by medical negligence in Arkansas, please call Milligan Law Offices at 479-783-2213 or contact us online today to schedule your free consultation.